Monday, June 30, 2008

Thoughts about travel prep

The Sheraton Addis Ababa

I just finished reading Christie's blog:

Wow. I'm so happy to hear her honesty. Hearing her story will hopefully help me prepare that much better.

For example...we're pretty sold on staying at the Hilton/Sheraton. With her/their experience with power outages, cold water, boredom, and insects....

...Not to mention our personal feelings of safety (like in case of civil unrest, or whatever). Being at a major hotel is safer for foreigners than out in the 'community.' I can't get Hotel Rwanda out of my mind.

I'm certainly bringing just about every piece of medical equipment, treatment, medication, that I can think of...including my otoscope, stethescope, tongue depressors...gloves.

I'm bringing cortisporin otic (antibiotic ear drops), erythromycin (antibacterial eye ointment); hydrogen peroxide (and maybe even laceration repair material). Cold/flu medication, allergy medication, oral antibiotics (to cover pneumonia and other upper respiratory bacterial infections) for us and all children. Nausea medication, good ol' American (full of fat/preservatives/crap) cookies and crackers. I'm bringing lice/scabies medication for everyone. I wonder if I can bring IV hydration stuff?? Hmmm....

...and really, just preparing to be self-sufficient while there (i.e. hire our own drivers); plan our own itinerary (as we do when we plan trips to anywhere). The Amex concierge has been very helpful so far...so we'll certainly utilize this service for this trip.

I'm actually hoping to *convince* someone to go with us...like my sister-in-law :o) - just in case you're reading this!! That way we can leave Haley and Ian at the hotel when we go out to do some of the business stuff. Then me and her can leave Dad and Ian at the hotel while we go out and see a bit more of the City (cuz dad and son are the type who'd rather stay pool-side eating cotton candy watching Direct TV/football on the laptop). We'll have an extra pair of (nurse) hands with us. And any doctor will tell you how very valuable it is to have a good nurse at your side. ;o) - have I convinced you yet Sister?

No comments: